Sunday, June 18, 2006

Internship

Just a really short and quick note to let you all know what I've been up to recently. Hanging out with some unsavory individuals, let me tell ya. Yep, my internship started at the Med. Examiners office. This is my third day, and I can honestly say that I've learned far more in those three days than I did in the first year of graduate school. Handled my very first autopsy with flying colors. Apparently I have an here-to-for unknown iron stomach. We're at that time of the year that the dead no longer stay very "fresh" and that's all I'll say about that.

Everyone here is amazing and so very helpful. They are truly good people who do a really difficult job, with no props whatsoever. They don't expect (or often get) a thaink you from the public. They are hounded by the media for answers to questions they either don't have, or can't give out. They go out in the heat, snow, rain, whatever to do their jobs and I have yet to hear any true complaining from any of them. They crawl into some of the most abysmal situations and are proficient at a job most people can't imagine doing. They are also regarded with a kind of "freak show" curiosity by the mainstream population, i.e. "How can they DO that?" Remarkable bunch of people. Next time you see your local investigator, give them a hug (and hope they aren't packing iron).

Right now it's a little boring as we haven't had anything for a while. Hoping it picks up a bit next week. I want to see and learn as much as I can. So plan on working as much as I can as well, although I need to get some laundry done. I was only able to find 4 pairs of khakis on my "khaki-quest" last week, so need to wash them up so I have something to wear. Also ran out of big ol' Sudafed pills and soda at home. NEED SODA. CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT IT. Soooo...better hit the store. Anyway, I'll chat at ya'll later
Love,
B

1 comment:

Laura said...

more power to you... and all those whom you help.
i still have that box to send you, with books and so maybe early quasi birthdays for you and paul by time i send.
hey book is done.. come see blog
hugs
L