Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Ham is now on the "ewwww" list of foods

I had class this past weekend and got to see all sorts of gooey things. We had a forensic entomologist team, a forensic odontologist and a cadaver dog demonstration. The entomologists were exactly how you would think of a bunch of people who love icky bugs. But man, they were entertaining and fun. They set up three mock crime scenes for us to work so that we could identify bugs and where they are at. The first was an indoor scene that they recently removed a body, the second was a skeletonized remains scenario outside. The third was a pig. Not a fake pig. A real pig. A real DEAD pig. Smelled wonderful...kinda reminded me of sunshine and rainbows. Really though, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I could handle it completely. We collected maggots from the decomposing body and got to keep them in a little vial. Heh. My poor husband...wonder what other souvenirs I'll come home with.

But now, I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of well over 160 pages to read, and two papers to write. I'm an official CERT dropout now. I just emailed him this morning with all sorts of apologies. It's just that work just keeps piling it on. I can't do all the stuff now, so CERT has fallen to the wayside. Our structures are getting worse, not better and we added a work study that I have to train, also the website needs to be completed as our computer girl is now officially on her way to India. So, it's up to me to do that. Also, training the other lab members on how to run a program which I just learned last week. I was stressed out yesterday, but feel better today since I dropped out of CERT.

Been following the hurricane news and am so bummed that we never did get to New Orleans. I hope the damage isn't too bad in all the coastal regions and that the loss of life is a minimum. Just one more reason to not live in the coastal areas! Scary. Well, I'm going to go watch the news this morning and clean up my study area a bit, since I just passed out last night and left it scattered everywhere.

Love,
B

No comments: