Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Mama would be proud...

So, I had a craving for something my mom used to make me. Stuffed artichokes are something us Italians love. I decided to try to make them (without having to call Mommy for the recipe of the stuffing). I found this recipe:
STUFFED ARTICHOKES
1 1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp. onion, chopped fine
1/2 tsp. garlic, chopped fine
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 c. water
1 lg. artichoke
Remove old leaves and cut stem off close to the artichoke, then trim tops of each leaf all around to remove needle like points. Press the artichoke up side down on counter, to spread the leaves open. Wash and drain.

Mix ingredients, and fill each leaf, packing gently. Place in small saucepan with water, drizzle small amounts of olive oil over top of crumbs. Steam in covered pan for 45 minutes, or until leaves come apart easily.

To eat: Remove one leaf at a time with fingers, scraping off the meat and stuffing on both ends with teeth.

And from there, I adapted. I actually used more garlic, more olive oil and basil and oregano. It was delicious. Check out the photos and tell me your mouth isn't watering. Okay, probably only my family will understand this post, but DAMN, they were good.

Ready to enjoy! This one was the first of two and it was amazing. After I ate it, I was the one that was stuffed. Didn't stop me from eating the other one though. This could be why I gained so much weight last year, hehe.

Ready and waiting in the pot. This one was just as delicious. I'm not sure why I don't just steam artichokes. They are so good with or without the stuffing, although the stuffing is the icing on that cake.

Here's a bit of the garden bounty. The cherry tomatoes are doing really well. I have an over-abudance of them. The Romas aren't doing so hot, they seem to be rotting before they are ripe so I plucked them a bit early. Hopefully, they will still make it.

Hello, jelly bean cherry tomato things. You are so delicious. I love you.

The green ones are "Romas". Well, they were on the Roma plant, but they work really well for fried green tomatoes (don't tell my dietician, she would be pissed).

Well, that's about all the excitement for today!

Belinda

No comments: