Monday, December 19, 2005

One more down...hopefully

Well, sorry I haven't updated recently, but I had a nutty week of trying to get final presentations done, a paper written and study for a final. But got it all done. Got a couple of grades back, (finally!!), after we took the final. Got a 97% on the take-home, but that's not too difficult if you just read a little bit. Got an 85% on the stalking paper, which I wasn't too happy about. I asked them to explain where the points were taken off and they really couldn't give a satisfying answer. So, no clue. I shouldn't be bummed about it I guess, but I think if they're going to take points off, they should be able to explain where they went and why they took it off. I know one of his complaints was "there were way too many citations here." Hunh. Well, as I was going through statistics, I thought I probably should cite. Anyway, done whining.

Presentation went okay, but my group went over by 3 min apparently. Well, we had a lot of information and two of my group members are really monotone, slow talkers. I about fell asleep listening to them, haha. We're hoping to do much better on this presentation paper than we did on the last one.

Got most of the shopping done for everyone that we're going to either see on X-Mas eve or not see at all (Mom T., Dad T., Dad P., Marty, Renee, Laura and Al). Tonight is for wrapping presents and getting two packages to mail to Al and Laura and my parents.




Well, seeing as how I'm at work, I should probably get back to it. Here's a little X-Mas commentary for ya'll too.



Love,
B


This little gem came from: http://www.politicalcartoons.com/

2 comments:

Laura said...

i used to get comments about too many citations, but i've always felt that science is built upon previous science... even newton said -paraphrasing-he'd been merely playing with pretty seashells along the ocean of truth.
re the unclear lower grade, possibly if other classmates had similar experiences you can [1] go see instructor together to get things defined or [2] realize STUDENT POWER and go to dept. chair or dean in confidence. the professor is abrogating [?word choice?] std university policies in not setting and defining grading standards. as long as you're clear that you're NOT "grade grubbing" but honestly want a critique and fair eval of how you failed to meet stds, this should work.
after all !! the goal is to improve and how can you if you don't know what the professor wants? unless he's teaching "psychic 101"? maybe he watches "the medium" for his forensic analysis and stalking,LOL.

Laura said...

me again. a holiday tradition to start is minimal wrapping? well it's what we do. funny papers, tissue and bags and bows? even have a friend who stamps hang tags and puts all in bags with ribbon and her stamped tags....
we sent all our holiday stuff to dad's. maybe he will like getting a lot of mail. and maybe not.