Saturday, December 10, 2005

X-mas is creeping up...

It's another glorious Saturday here in the wilds of K.C. The temp is around 40 degrees today so we have massive melting and hugemongous icicles on the house. There's one in the back that is larger than me. I was going to take a picture of it, but my psychotic cat made a kamikaze run onto my computer desk, knocking my camera to the floor. When I tried to turn it on, it now says "change battery pack." I'm pretty sure the battery is okay, but can't find the charger to verify. I'm hoping he didn't knock something loose in there...damn him. I love my animals, but there are days I want to strangle them. This is one of those days with Max. He also dug out about a cup of soil out of one of our plants, throwing it around on the floor. Such a little shit he is.

I've gotten most of the presentations from my other group members, but one is just text with no pictures at all and the other doesn't cover 2/3 of her victims. Ack. Try to motivate these people and they give you crap. So, I'll be working on getting that all together. Got my part of the paper to one of the other members on Wed., but he emailed me saying he'd made some changes. I sorta freaked out and emailed him back telling him to send it to me and that it wasn't okay to be making changes to someone else's work without their permission. He apologized for making me think it was big changes, but he claims that it was nothing more than some "editorial" type changes. I still want to see it and told him so. Still haven't gotten it yet. Maybe I'm just over-reacting, but you never make changes to another person's content without their explicit approval.

Going to write another paper today on expert witness testimony, mainly focusing on the Frye (the original test) and Daubert (the current one). I'm going at it from a serology/DNA point of view since that has the most bearing on my life. The stuff I've read so far, it's pretty interesting how they decide whether your testimony falls under Daubert or not.

Next week is going to be awfully busy. My X-Mas party for work is Wed., and Paul's is Sunday. Of the two, Paul's should be a lot of fun, since it's at Dave & Buster's. When we lived near St. Louis, we used to go there all the time. We'll get to check out the new one here now. Mine is usually a bit stuffy, but free food and alcohol, so woohoo. And it's always entertaining to see your old professors get snockered and dance.

Since we've pretty much decided to have my family's X-Mas in January, we're only going to go buy Paul's side tomorrow. A little easier on the ol' pocketbook anyway to split up the purchasing. I haven't seen my great-nieces in forever and just haven't had a chance when I've been home recently. My niece is always working on my weekends there, so can't wait to see how big Macy has gotten. And, Mom, I'll try to take some pictures assuming my camera starts working again! Damn that cat.

Here's a little Christmas humor for ya'll that I got in the email the other day. Considered making it my cards this year, but we went with a pic of us instead. It was a tough decision, lol.


Naughty, naughty Santa!!

Love,
B

P.S. Forgot to mention that we ended up with a little over 12" of snow!! Holy moly on a sleigh.

3 comments:

Laura said...

you are totally right about the editting.
my coauthors and i would send versions back and forth with "suggested changes" but nothing done until both agreed! and sometimes argued about if i wanted to say "Just that way". besides, one person's "minor editorial" is another's "major changes", and who says the person has good editorial judgement, grammar and etc!
argh.
we used to keep ALL paper copies on file to show the various changes, as it'd even get into who wrote what....

Laura said...

so has the weather improved any? it's about 16degreesF here today, but no wind. no sun either. one of my amaryllis is about to bloom. wolf's truck is not working, so he insisted on walking to work, but i will pick him up 5ish. was up to 4 am working on deadline and i'd better drink my cuppa and get back to it!
blessings, :L

Laura said...

cold and miserable here today. i need some sun to take photos.
got dad some sugar free choc. peanuts as that was the closest i could get right now. did ask candy store lady to check into sugar free peanut brittle. apparently brittle is made w/ corn syrup so won't be easy.
al's stressed w/ too much paperwork.