Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Damn those mutants!

So, I spent a good portion of the night last night unwinding the massive root systems the beans have grown. The mutants are out of control. I transplanted them (had to go to the store to get more peat pots) so they all have their own little home. Hopefully, they won't continue to go quite so crazy. Need to do the other beans now. Didn't think I had that many plants and so just bought 50 pots. HA! I way underestimated my idiotic seeding. Need to grab another 50 so they are all on their own. I'm going to have beans coming out of every orifice there is. Assuming some of them produce anyway. Working on getting a compost container going too since we have all kinds of veggies left over that are going to be perfect for good compost (and about a million dead leaves). That's Paul's project for his days off this week to build a compost container. Then it's up to me to get it going. Hopefully, within about a month, I'll have something decent to give the plants. I'll take another pic after I get the others all transplanted. They aren't wilting or anything just yet, so hopefully I didn't kill em off.

Laura, check the mail in a couple of days. We're sending a 'surprise' to you and Al. Sorta Al's B-day present, but it's really something for you both! Enjoy!

Did awful this weekend on the diet, so I need to come up with different ideas of how to stay on it when I go to NE. Especially since I have class for every weekend for 6 weeks in a row. I have so much to do, just thinking about it makes my brain ache. I need to do laundry, the only thing good I can say about the state of my house, is that at least no one else has to see it but me and Paul. The good thing is even though I gained a couple of pounds over the weekend, just by being good Mon-today, I've lost that again. I like the flexibility of this diet. Paul's doing good too although he ate us out of house and home last weekend. He's going to be starting his own blog about the Capri his sister gave him. I'm going to try to show him how to set that up tonight. Well, that's about it for now. I'm sure I have way more to tell you, but I better go be somewhat productive at work.

Love,
B

2 comments:

Laura said...

compost. i may have a book to share. [along with the story of VERY successful gardening in POTS - notice how careful i was not to say POT gardening, lol]
.... we have a 5 gal bucket with lid under kitchen sink for big compost, and a small plastic container by sink. no need for a lid, sprinkle in baking soda 1x weekly when i dump it.
major unbreakable rule, no animal products - only exception is eggshells - good calcium.
you can do compost in just a large pile and turn, we have.
ask paulie about teasing al, when we moved from ks al packed 2 or 3 giant sacks of his compost!
..
this is getting long, but we even use tea and coffee grounds if you can handle tearing up the teabags.
... but i'm particular w/ those for acid loving plants = rhodies, certain things.
... my worst defect w/ compost, is although we have bins of it... is actually using it. i can tell you that once it composts it's this gorgeous stuff that looks like dirt
WE MADE our own DIRT lol.
and growing tomatoes in pure compost is a failure. too acidic. they need epsom salts and alkaline = ks soil.
... so this year, i won't be lazy -famous last words. I will use the compost.
.... final ps.
i am very impressed w/ Paul's site! how kewl is that!!

Laura said...

out of town eating. mcD's double cheese w/o the top of the bread and ask for lettuce and tomato - extra 10 cents.
canned tuna, except mercury levels scare me, so limit to 2x weekly? or do you like fish? salad and salad and salad.
i actually LIKE shrimp salad. and cucumber salad.