Monday, May 05, 2008

Busy, busy

Paul and I have been working our butts off recently which is why I haven't posted for a little while. One magical day, I walked into my backyard and my garden had been tilled by a wonderful neighbor. I had talked to him about possibly tilling it, but didn't know that I was acutally going to get it done prior to the massive rain we had (and tornados, but that's not pertinant to this post, lol).

We borrowed our other neighbor's tiller to try to grind up the chunks of clay into something a little more pliable (still too wet in case you were wondering). Now, I've never tilled in my life and it turns out that it's kinda hard. It made my weak, wussy body sore and my arms were shaking with all kinds of fatigue. Yes, I'm super out of shape. I did get the damn thing done and then today I laid out good ol' 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer and started tilling again. Unfortunately, still too wet on over half. I got a couple of lines done and Paulie just HAD to butt in because he's a boy and they can't stand watching a woman do what they think they can do better. But anyway, he finished it up and then we realized that the last part was pretty dry and we got three rows tilled up. I then seeded for a while and got some stuff going (yes, Nikki, the corn is in).

Also, as a side note, the yukky ol' concrete path in the front is now a dead sexy granite and rock pathway and we're attempting to throw down some grass where the cedar trees used to live. Photos below! Let me know what ya'll think!


Tell me that doesn't look super awesome!


So very better looking. Now imagine one peony bush on either side in front of the porch and you get the idea. I would like to plant a couple of magnolias as well, but I think Paul is heading more towards the "less is more" concept. We'll see, hehe.


Even I can't believe just how much of a nerd I am. I'm actually CHECKING OVER the INSTRUCTIONS and seeing how to seed everything! I'm a nerdy nerd.


How awesome do those rows look? You can totally tell where we did the tilling. It's supposed to rain over the next couple of days, but I'm hoping it won't so I can get the rest tilled/seeded!


Yeah, it's pretty good sized! I look super far away in this shot.


Still nerding out over here! How many people bring a reference manual to the garden? ONE! Me, cuz I'm awesome like all that. I have to say that this outfit looks even worse on camera than in person. It's pretty awful but it's some of my play clothes!

Love ya,
B

1 comment:

Laura said...

that is an amazing diff with the new sidewalk and no trees!
wow. that was some job hmmm?

don't know if you can find it, but possibly there is a soil amendment you can get for free, via either your university contacts or at work - and that is vermiculite. it will lighten it up and help.
going to be good eatin' at your house!
and now i will have to take pics.