Monday, October 27, 2008

Seasonal Treats!

So, I finally roasted the pumpkin seeds. In case any one would like to make their own, first clean off the seeds pretty well by rinsing them. Then let them dry out for a couple of days. 

Here they are drying out. I start out with a paper towel, then remove the towel after the first little bit. Once they are dried up enough, then take the seeds and toss them with olive oil and salt. Just enough to coat. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Then lay them out on cookie sheets and cook until golden brown (about 45 minutes). I usually add a bit of salt afterwards because I'm a salt fiend.


Here's a bit of the finished product. They are really tasty and the shells have been softened up enough that you just chomp them up with the inner seeds.


Turns out they are pretty good for you too! They are rich in fiber and vitamins B and E. You can also play around with different seasonings. Here's some suggestions: Garlic powder/salt; seasoning salt, black pepper; cayenne pepper; Cajun seasonings; Italian seasonings; chili powder; and grated hard cheese (such as Parmesan). I haven't tried any of these because I'm a purist and I love just plain salt.

Good luck if you try it and I know they will be delicious! Happy seasonal treating! 

Belinda

No comments: