Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Is football season over yet?

So, I'm sitting here being tortured, oh, I mean watching football with Paul. Can't miss the Rose Bowl. He's rooting for Texas and just to be contradictory, I'm rooting for USC. We haven't bet on it, but I'll wait until half-time and see where we're at.

Well, it looks as though my group in school may be getting smaller. One of our members got a C+ this class after getting a C something in the first class. We're not sure what's going to happen, but we'll find out Saturday. That just means the other three of us will take over her portion although it would be a bummer. She's pretty cool, but has a lot going on. Married with four (yep, I said FOUR) kids, works full-time overnights at PayPal, so that's tricky to find time to do stuff.

Had a good time watching the game last night though. We were shooting for four overtimes, but, alas, it didn't happen. Now, my brain is simmering and I don't have any clue what to do for class since they never got us the syllabus they promised. The coordinator sent out an email that said she'd have to us by Friday. Oh boy. One whole day! Gee whiz.

Paul's going to be putting some car parts on eBay tomorrow so hopefully, get some cashola from that. Not much going on! Pretty sedentary here. My owie is again all better, but I still have to wait until Friday to get my vaccine. Doctor suggested a slightly less painful way to quit smoking, so considering giving it a try. Basically, you just take one ciggy out every day from what you normally smoke, as in Day 1, you have 20, so Day 2 you have 19, Day 3 18, etc. Supposedly, this allows your body to gradually get rid of the nicotine, not the same as going cold turkey and you don't have as bad withdrawals. But first is the diet. I'm going to try to force my husband to start being healthier, so we're going to try a version of the South Beach diet. It actually makes sense, as it's all about the good vs. bad carbs, good vs. bad fats. We'll see and I'll try to keep you all updated. I'm sitting at 128 lbs to begin with and would love to see 115 lbs again, but realistically, I'm shooting for 120 lbs. Paul on the other hand, has hit the magic 215 lbs, so we're shooting for 30 lbs gone, putting him at 185 lbs which is a good, healthy weight. I'm also going to try to get both of us in to get a cholesterol screen, but he's been resistant so far. I WILL WIN!!! Mwuhahahahaha. Anyway, we're starting the diet in about a week after I get the book off eBay (um, way cheaper than buying new) and read it. I'll update you all to our progress and fill you all in if it's working. Better get to watching this damn game.

Love,
B

3 comments:

Laura said...

lucky me, al only likes soccer or the "tour de lance", er "france"....
i quit cold turkey about 15 yrs ago. have a few tips.
first, the longer you go after you get up before the first cig, the fewer you will smoke.
2nd, inc your b-vitamins and be sure and take am/breakfast and pm/dinner [anti-stress and etc.].
3rd, red meat worsens cig cravings, so cut the beef. eat more
pretzels and saltines, as basic foods help elevate blood pH which stops nicotine from dropping so rapidly. the more acid the blood, the faster the nicotine leaves your body and the more you crave.
4th deep breathing helps, instead of cigs. no coffee, tea instead? no coke, or caffeeine, worsens.
i found that also not being able to smoke in the house helped. make a rule only outside. he he he....

Laura said...

study= get in habit of buying books ahead of time; see new instructors before end of present term and get a head's up on book[s]
and hints on chapters to read over breaks. always buy next terms
books as soon as you can- used books on amazon and half.com and other text sites sold by poor professors such as me. i may even
have some of your advanced biochem books. have a ton of environmental cheml...

Laura said...

my hospital lab has a low cost chol. blood test, only $20 and you don't need a dr reference or anything and they'll mail the results.
we go at 6:30 am. you have to fast
for 12 hrs, and you can have coffee when you get up if only "fake sugar" - splenda or sweetnlow.