Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fried Zucchini Flowers

So, I decided to try out the whole zucchini flower thing. I checked online for some recipes on the whole deep frying thing and how to do it. I decided on a simple egg/flour/water/garlic salt batter, but didn't have a lot of time. I just threw some flour in a bowl then added egg and water (this isn't the best way to do it in case you were wondering). I think it will be better next time and just add flour bit by bit to make a much lighter batter. Also, I think it needs some more flavor, but I'm not sure on seasoning since it was over-powered by the batter. Anywhoo, I went and harvested some of the flowers. I did a mixture of the female and male to see which was better.

The female are on the left with the baby zucchini. Obviously, the male are on the right. They have no zucchini. I chose flowers that were still pretty tight. I did cringe when cutting off the baby zucchini, but told myself the other 20 that are growing right now will probably be enough. I then washed then very well and did get one ant that was not happy. He's dead now. Drowning.

After washing, I sliced them all in half and removed the reproductive organs (spayed and neutered the flowers if you will).

Here's the ovaries and penises. Heh. That's funny.

A little oil goes a long way in a wok. Here's the battered females frying up. The females take quite a bit longer than the males. Heh. Just like people. Anyway, these are cooking in med-high oil, but I turned it down because it was too hot.

Yummy! I love deep fried stuff.

Finished product. Definately it's better to let them get golden crispy. Those were the best. Paul thought they'd be better with a little spicy horseradish dip, so we'l try that next time. I think a much lighter batter would also help.

Single finished product. I have to say it was delicious and I'm definately going to be doing this again!

Belinda

1 comment:

Laura said...

yum!
first - a trick is that you can buy box of tempura batter mix, which is light for veggies and can use beer as liquid....
i adore those teeny baby zuccinis.
could you tell flavor diff from male vs. female flowers?