Sunday, March 23, 2008

Holy dirt!

I moved dirt today. A buttload of dirt. I cannot even tell you how much dirt. Words cannot express the amount of dirt I moved. Okay, so the point of all that is, I filled in the raised beds with topsoil. Paul went this morning and the topsoil was finally dry enough to be dumped into the bed of a borrowed truck. I really wish I had thought to take a picture of the massive pile before I started moving it, but didn't think of it until I had already moved several wheelbarrows worth. I didn't want to cheat myself of the sympathy of all my loyal readers (okay, just my mom reads this). Each bed took 7 wheelbarrows full and then I put in two bags a piece of this organic Miracle Grow stuff in there which was then blended in.

What organic really should say is "IT'S POOP!!" I think that would be a much more realistic marketing scheme. I opened the bag and oddly enough, it reminded me of Nebraska. What does that tell you about that state and it's smell? Yikes. I upgraded the bag to reflect what's really in there. As always, my graphic brilliance is free.




Here's a couple pics of the fruits of my labor.





As you can see, all that soil is now just waiting for some seeds to complete it's magical transformation. As I do not yet have a water source, it will continue waiting. The idea is that we are going to do three water barrels in succession on the back of the garage and use old-fashioned gravity to do the watering trick.

With a complex and highly thought-out plan that had to be approved by no less than three NASA scientists (and yes, we did first have a primer course in how to properly use the metric system), I plan on setting up a brilliant drip irrigation system that will require nothing more than me turning on a "faucet" at the bottom of the barrels. But first, it will help to put gutters on the garage to actually catch the water in a much more efficient fashion than running around maniacally underneath the eaves with a really big bucket. Although this method would be highly entertaining for my neighbors, the gutters are really the way to go.

So, tomorrow, Paul and I may try to get the gutters going on at least the back part and then get the rain barrels made up. Then we still have to till the main garden but the soil is still just a little too tough to be worked. I do hope to have lettuce, spinach and radishes growing soon, but as water is a necessary component to this whole gardening business, it will have to wait. Well, that's all for now, nothing too exciting except that I may have to get on disability after today. I'm in pain and too old for this shit.

B

No comments: