Monday, May 11, 2009

Workin' Hard on the Weekend

The weekend turned out pretty nice, so we worked our asses off.

First up. Move a shit-ton of gravel. We have this little side driveway thing that has been pretty much a cess-pool of mud since we moved in. Paul got 8 tons of gravel and then had to move it.

He moved it with that little ol' bucket too, since I was dominating the wheelbarrow. Such a gentleman. Notice he's smiling. It's because I'm his wife and I'm silly and make him laugh. Mostly.


That there is what a shit-ton of 8 tons of gravel looks like. It took a while to move it around. Although I was just moving a measly ton of dirt, so I can't take any credit for this at all.


The greatest journeys start with a single step. AND the greatest gravel driveways start with a single bucket of rock. God DAMN, I am a poet.



Here'd be my shit-ton of dirt. But it looks all little and wussy compared to the 8 tons of gravel. That Potter. Always upstaging me.


Day 2 of the weekend and another ton of dirt later...we got the beds all full of dirt and planted with stuff.


Potter "tilled". The quotes are overkill, but the ground was in no way ready to be tilled. I had great desperation that I would never get a garden going with the rain and we just decided to go for it, DAMN THE CONSEQUENCES!! So, here's a watermelon plant for your enjoyment.


I did something different and ordered pepper and tomato plants from online store. The box was pretty trashed when it came on Friday and 75% of the plants were destroyed. Here's the lone survivors! Peppers, woohoo. This is Gypsy and Fat N' Sassy peppers. I love that name. Fat N' Sassy. Yes, I am.


Zucchini, three different varieties. These seedlings have been slowly strangling to death in the house and in their little plugs. They are so not looking okay. We'll see if any survive. Don't worry, a whole 'nother bed was seeded with fresh zucchini seeds.


My five rows of love. Yay for our tiller!! Thanks Santa :)


Them be potato plants growing in that thar tub!


My new two toys. In the front is the cucumber trellis, that tall ol' big thing in the rear area is the bean tower. The idea of what I dream they will look like are below.


Cukes all happy and off the ground!


Imagine that lady is me and I'm plucking thousands, nay, MILLIONS, of beans off my tower! I have a rich fantasy life. Or a really, really boring one.

And in case you were gnawing at your fingers in wonder and anticipation about my destroyed plants, a phone call today to Jung's has gotten me a whole new package of the plants that were destroyed! Well, only if they only have the varieties I originally ordered. I put a lot of research into these choices. They are not just willy-nilly decisions. If they don't have what I ordered, I get my money back. But here's to hoping that they do and round 2 of shipping works better than round 1. Cuz that was just sad.

Belinda

No comments: