Thursday, June 02, 2005

Attempt at Random

Randomness is now my middle name (yes, I had it legally changed, sorry mom/dad), so this post is dedicated to random thoughts. (What this means is that I don't have anything specific to write about, so I must attempt to collate into something I've dubbed "random." Pretty slick, hunh?) So, good news is that I've had my first BIG paper accepted for publication. Major woohoo. So, at my not so young age, I've managed to get two peer-reviewed publications in. Thanks to my boss for giving credit where credit is due. This is more rare than we would like to think in the science community and I've been fortunate in not only getting a job, but getting a good boss and co-workers. Also, helped finish up a grant for money, money. That's what us geeks must rely on to continue getting those papers (and those paychecks). For all you non-sciencers out there, doing this stuff is expensive. The materials are expensive, the equipment is expensive. Even publishing costs money sometimes. So, that's the caveat to doing good science. Money, money. (How many times can I say "money, money" in this post, hehe).

Got my new RAMM stick in the computer and we'll see how it goes. I'm a little nervous and even now think I need to run a hardware diagnostic to make sure the little shit is happy. I think I will forever be wary of my computer and it will be getting regular check-ups from now on. I was originally going to get some software to do backups but have now decided that I am going to invest in an external FireWire hard drive. I can use this on the laptop I'll be getting too. And for the "bargain" price of about $150-170 I can get 80 GB of free space. Probably make this little eMac blazing fast (my head may spin). Alright, I think my boring computer saga is now over and we can all move on to brighter and happier things.

I got interrupted several hours ago because my brother and his girlfriend arrived. They're flying out tomorrow morning for a wedding in Vegas and are using us for the cheap hotel we are. Nothing better than free baby. My only advice will be to watch out for suspicious showgirls. Never can trust those women...hehe. So anyway, I think my randomness is currently at an end (sheesh-random is seriously over-rated, this was soooo boring!!) Didn't help that my thoughts got interrupted. I'm a one-mind kinda gal and I can't process well when I don't do things in a linear fashion. Well, niters for now.

Love,
B

No comments: