Saturday, July 09, 2005

Can't think of a title to cover all this crap

Here's the promised blog about my parent's anniversary party. So, it's going to be their 40th wedding anniversary on Oct. 9th and we decided to throw them a little party. Well, my parents should know that I'm not good at "little." So, talking to my brother's girlfriend, she got a hall for a seriously discounted price and he's throwing in the linens and some of those little mirrors for centerpieces on the tables for free. It's going to be on Oct. 8th at 7 pm. When I started to plan this, I figured we'd be inviting around 60 people or so. Sheesh. I was soooo wrong. The guest list (which is not yet completed) is well over 160 people, which has turned this party upside-down. My parents are convinced that I'm padding the guest list because they think there's no way that they know that many people. And that's not including some of the kids in some of the families. Granted, many of these are out-of-staters and I'm not thinking they'll be able to come. But the ginourmous size of this party prompted us into not serving a full meal. I recently got in contact with a caterer who is going to help me plan out how much food to purchase and we're going to just do snack-y type things and cake, etc. Because we're poor and spending $10/head on 150 people is just not financially feasible for us right now. I really wish I could, but it's just not in the cards. I am planning on doing a slide show with pictures of their life together, starting with them both as small children and going chronologically from there. I wasn't sure how to approach this because while I could do it with Power Point, how do I project it. Then N., gave me the idea to burn a DVD movie with it and then I can just play it on the big screen they have there. What a great idea!! Unfortunately, I don't have a DVD burner, but have decided to buy one with my laptop I will be purchasing (probably today, in fact). The only thing I need after that is a scanner and about 2 weeks to scan all the photos in. I have sooo many that I have to go through and decide whether to use them or not. The other thing we're doing is that instead of gifts, we're asking everyone that is invited to write a memory/well-wishes to the couple and enclose a photo of their family. Then I'm going to make a scrapbook for mom and dad and also include photos of the party at the end. I think they'll really enjoy this and what a wonderful keepsake! I've ordered the invitations and they're on their way here already!!

Today, I have to go to Lowe's and pick up some tomato cages as the plants are now huge and the little ghetto ones I did some time ago no longer support the plants. I'm hoping we're going to get a lot of really nummy tomatoes soon, but think we won't see any for another month probably. Hopefully, they don't grow too much bigger since they are already crowded in their pots. Also, am going to separate out some of the pepper plants since they're definitely choking each other out. The onions are doing fine but I have no idea when to harvest them. The pea plants are actually producing some sugar snap peas, but so far have only three peas :) I really enjoy this gardening business and maybe next year will actually do some in the ground so I don't have to continually worry about transplanting them.

The kitchen remodel is going well although it's temporarily slowed down a bit. Hubby tore down all the top cabinets and has hung new ones on a little over half of the kitchen. I'm going to stain the doors today for him so that he can get the doors on. Maybe when I'm at Lowe's today I'll see if he wants me to pick up the last two cabinets and I can get those done too, just to prompt him into hanging them. It looks really good and now I'm very excited about seeing the finished project!!

Watched De-Lovely last night which is the story of Cole Porter who was a composer and a gay man who's greatest love happened to be a woman. I cried when she died. Tonight, I'm going to watch the Machinist if I feel up to a truly disturbing movie. Probably won't make me cry, although seeing Christian Bale look so scrawny is enough to induce tears.

And, here's all the info on the baby since I got some wrong when I blogged about it. Her name is Macy Rian, she was born at 4:35 am, at 6 lbs 7 oz, and 20 in. long. I'll be going next weekend to visit the baby and check her over :)

Well, I think I've made up for not blogging in a while with this extremely long post and for that I apologize profusely (not really).

Love,
B

No comments: