Thursday, July 21, 2005

Doggie Adventures

I forgot to add some things that happened over the weekend, and since this week has been relatively uneventful, I'll talk about that bit of excitement. Sat. morning I woke up around 8:30 am, about 15-20 minutes after Paul had left for work. Usually, he just leaves the dogs outside so they don't bother me and I can sleep in a little extra. So, I made my coffee, got myself a cup and sat down in front of the puter to check email. As I'm sitting there, I'm looking out the window into the backyard. Can't see the dogs. Hmmm...so went outside to see if they were under the deck. Called their names and whistled...still no dogs. Go back inside, trying not to panic. Paul's Dodge was gone and I knew he had to go in early to work, so figured he hadn't taken the dogs to the lake, which he used to do before Brody's surgery. Called him at work, no answer. Called him on his cell phone, no answer. Left pretty frantic-sounding messages to call immediately. Went through the house to see if they were stuck in a room or something. Then as I'm walking around, I look out the front window, and lo and behold, there's Brody looking in, panting as though she had just run a marathon. I let her in the front door and she's limping like crazy. Ugh. By this time, I've figured out that they obviously got out and at that point didn't know when Paul had left for the day, so wasn't sure how long they were running free and even how they got out. As I'm outside, trying to find Toby, I spy him across the street, running around, peeing on everything vertical and standing still. He was enjoying his freedom a little more than Brody and didn't want to come when I called, so here I am, in my PJs, barefoot standing in the middle of the street, yelling for my dog. I'm sure I impressed my neighbors. He finally comes running over and I get him in the house and dash to the backyard to figure out how they got out. Well, there's a gate, but it was closed and latched. The latch is this ancient thing though so figured that that's how they made their jail break. Rigged up something to temporarily stop them from getting out again.

Later in the day, the dogs were in the backyard, and I was watering the plants in the front and I notice that Brody is nudging the latch with her nose as to open it. Aha!! Gotcha. So, my dog again has proven that she's entirely too smart for her own good. She limped around the rest of the day but got better as the day wore on and by Sunday seemed okay. Paul got a new gate along with a new latch that is now doggie-proof. I stood out there Sat. evening to help him put it up, but there was a hotspot for mosquitoes right there and in the five minutes I was standing there, I got seriously swarmed. Resulted in 14 bites. Yes, I really did count.

So my dogs got an adventure, I got attacked by mosquitoes and we got a new gate, that looks fabulous next to the rusty ol' fence (that comment is entirely sarcastic). Moral of the story is, to make sure you get the dumbest dog from the pound, not the smartest.

Love,
B

No comments: